FCA National Franchise Conference Melbourne 9-11 OctoberOctober 13, 2011
The theme for the FCA National Franchise Convention for 2011 was ‘Teamwork and Leadership’
A prelude to the opening sessions consisted of a performance by the RMT Cheerleaders who’s energy levels and acrobatic displays had the crowd wanting more. What a great way to start!!!
Stephen Giles, FCA Chairman’s opening address: the ‘State of The Nation’, touched on how healthy the franchising sector currently is and it’s contribution to the Australian economy. The $128b industry with over 70,000 franchise units is looking towards the future is a positive way. Mr. Giles also commented on the challenges facing franchising with state based legislation and the perception that franchising has; as key areas that the FCA were addressing.
Nick Sherry, Minister for Small Business and ACCC Chairman Rod Sims, addressed the 500 delegates and confirmed the comments made by Mr. Giles earlier.
One of the highlights was the networking dinner at the MCG. For four hours the home of football and cricket was opened up to the delegates. We had a progressive style dinner in three different rooms on three different levels. Wow!!! If you have even been to the ‘G and experienced the corporate hospitality and the magnificent views at night then you will know what I’m talking about. It gets better!!! We were then allowed to view the history of sport in the ‘hall of fame’. I have never seen Warnie in 180 wide screen, or the history of each of the ALF/VFL clubs. If you haven’t seen it and you love sport then book a tour!!!…………….then there was the ‘interactive’ area…we were able to kick a footy, shoot some hoops, throw the stumps down and even see how tall you were compared to some of the greats in Australian sport…luckily we only had one injury….. but I’m sure we would have had a few sore heads the next day!!!!
The conference culminated in the Westpac FCA Excellence in Franchising Awards Dinner or should I call it the WA Awards dinner as WA took the lions share this year with representation in 5 out of the 14 categories with overall winners or runners up winners in 4 categories. Not bad for a state that only has 10% of the population!!!
Congratulations to all finalist and the winners are:
- Hairhouse Warehouse – Established Franchisor of the Year
- Appliance Tagging Service – Emerging Franchisor of the Year
- Carolyn and David McManus (The Coffee Club) – Multi- Unit Franchisee of the Year
- Kevin and Joanne Gooch ( The Coffee Club) – Franchisee of the Year – two or more staff
- Fiona Edis (City Farmers Dogwash) – Franchisee of the Year – less that two staff
- Belinda Sugars (Mortgage Choice) – Franchise Woman of the Year
- Cameron Graham (ANZ Mobile Lending)- Franchise Executive of the Year
- Andrew Walker (Poolwerx) – Field Manager of the Year
- Derek Sutherland (Icon Law) – Contribution to Franchising
- Silver Chef – Supplier of the Year
- The Coffee Club – Excellence in Marketing
- Action Coach – Excellence in International Franchising
- Hairhouse Warehouse– Franchisor Social Responsibility
- McGrath Estate Agents– Franchisee Community Service
Congratulations to all WINNERS and FCA HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE Noel Carroll the founder of Michel’s Patisserie for his outstanding contribution to the franchising sector that spans over 30 years!!!
I’m already looking forward to next year’s conference!!!!
See you there!!
Director – BDAThis entry was posted in Events, Franchising. Bookmark the permalink. ← So You Think You Can Dance? Gold, Gold, Gold!!!!!! →